Saturday 18 October 2008

So Close But Yet So Far

You know how I always wanted to grab one my my shrieky seagull friends and bring him home to play? Weeeell, I managed to do the first bit today down at Christchurch Quay!

See, Granny She and Grandad Butterworth came down to see me yesterday, and we went down to the Quay so they could see me feed the birdies. And they certainly picked the right day because there were huge swarms of seagulls down with the boats. Mummy reckons there must have been at least fifty, that's like all the seagulls in the whole wide world!

Normally Daddy holds me while Mummy feeds the birdies, but he had to go home as my big sister was due in from school soon so he had to be there to let her in. So to make it easier Mummy knelt down with me to throw bread up in the air for the seagulls, and thats where the fun started. See, because Mummy couldn't get the bread too high from down there, the seagulls had to swoop down really low, and one of the cheeky wotsits started hovering right in front of me and snatching the bread from her hand.

But you can't get in range of the Lulu tentacles without consequences, oh no. One good lunge as he came into land, and if Mummy hadn't been holding onto me I reckon I could have gotten more than the wingtip I did get. I am faster than a hovering seagull, me. Daddy says this is further proof that I am in fact an alien.

On thing though. The seagull didn't seem best pleased when I demonstrated my superspeed, in fact he said some very rude words in Shriek as he flew backwards. I didn't know what half of them even meant, but I'm sure they weren't nice words.

Once I was done harassing the seagulls we went back home and Granny She and Grandad Butterworth went to check in to their hotel. Mummy played with me for a little while then went out to go and have dinner with Granny and Grandad, so come last feed time it was just Daddy and me again.

Well I had to play to the crowd, didn't I? So I gave Daddy all my best moves after about fifteen seconds of drinking - the Side-to-Side Headfling, the Throwback, the Arching Spine and of course the essential I-Don't-Feel-Like-Feeding-Just-Now-Thank-You Shriek, thus waking up my unfortunate big sister who had only just gone to bed.

But here's the thing. The last couple of nights these extremely effective delaying tactics have resulted in the Return Of The Mummy before bedtime. But this time Daddy was annoyingly persistent and after a good Yell break he only went and got me to drink over half the feed, didn't he? I must be falling down on the job, because I was so shattered after all that effort that I fell asleep about ten seconds after he got me in my Baby Sleeping Bag and laid me down in the cot.

And I still never got my seagull.

No comments: